Skip to main content

Beck and call

I survived my first week at the new job. No unscathed though. Jet lagged coupled with being sick made the days and nights tough. I am very grateful the previous guy was close by and able to take over for me for a few hours so I could rest.

In many ways, being a personal assistant isn’t all that different from my previous job. I’m still at the beck and call of someone. Clients, consultants, managers and the like, were always calling, emailing or trying to nab my attention for assistant. I guess the only big difference is I used to be able to ignore calls or hold off on responding to emails. The new boss won’t have it. Can’t ignore him. He’ll just constantly and, quite relentlessly call my name until I acknowledge him and cater to his every need. (Seems unfair when I call out to him, he blatantly ignores me...)

This goes to show that whatever our job is, we're always in servitude of someone. Even if we are our own boss, we are still doing something that is for another person. Whether it be a service or a product. And whether our intentions is to truly benefit the other person or ourselves, at the root of it, it's still serving another person.

Being at the beck and call of someone is tough. Imagine how God feels when we put him at our beck and call, and then freak out when he seems not to respond immediately, as if the God of the universe was our own personal assistant.  As if.

Comments